The Dpt of Computer Engineers of TEI of Thessaly will start from the winter semester (October), of the academic year 2016-2017, the Postgraduate Program of Studies under the title Master of Science in «Computer and Systems Engineering – Smart Systems and Internet of Things» and is organized under the laws of 3685/2008 and 4009/2011, as they hold.
Objectives – Purpose
The objective of this MSc program is the prpeparation of specialized and capable engineers for the private and public sector, targeting at the R&D of applications in Smart Systems, Automation, Measurement Systems, Embedded Systems, Networks, etc. As an indication we name sectors with high demand in jobs market, that the present MSc covers, such as:
- Computer and Systems Installation and Servicing
- Computer based Systems of Measurements (sensors) and computerized Automation (actuators, 3D design), Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles and Mechatronics
- Large Scale Automatic Control, SCADA
- Computer Systems of special demands and Architectures (parallel, distributed) and their applications development
- Local and Distributed Monitoring and Control Systems, DCS
- Signal, Video, Image and Sound Processing – Artificial Vision
- Embedded and Microprocessor Systems for Telecommunications, Automation, and Medical Applications
- Hardware R & D (ASICs, FPGAs).
- Software Applications Development (Drivers, Firmware)
- Smart Buildings, Internet of Things, Ubiquitous Computing
- Agricultural and Veterinary Installations and Precision Agriculture
The graduated students of studies such as Informatics, Computer Science, Automation, Electronics, Mechanical and Electrical Eng, are able to cover the basic needs of Enterprises and Organizations. Application problems of large scale, complexity and intense knowledge need, need special techniques and skills of operation. The MSc offers these addditional skills. Its structure offers high specialization in informatics, computers, automation, robotics, measurement and electronics in production units or in signal, sound and image processing and industrial and urban networks. A better insight in these fields is achieved through the MSc dissertation that is performed during teh last semester of the MSc studies.
For the achievement of all the above the MSc:
- Provides to the students theoretical insights,
- Introduces a sound practical dimension based on excellent case studies in every module, from the students side,
- Organizes sessions to brng students to well known scientists and professionals.
With a well documented decision of the MSc committee, by judging the marks and the abilities of the candidates of the MSc, we could ask for supplementary studies and exams of one or more undergraduate modules for some of the MSc students; these lessons could not exceed the number of 8 and could form an additional introductory semester, without any fees and cost increment of the MSc.
The minimum number of a viable program is fourteen (14) students. The number of the postgraduate students for admission is defined as thirty (30) at its maximum. In addition to that we welcome grants supported students.
The fees are 3200 € and are paid in two portions of 1600 €, per teaching semester. In this amount we include the payment in advance of 200 € which is paid within a certain period within the application to our MSc, after admission and before the MSc start.
Duration of Studies – Language
The MSc is full time. Its minimal duration is three (3) semesters of studies, with the MSc dissertation. The extension of the studies is 2 semesters at its maximum. For serious reasons the students could ask for studies temporary interruption for one or two semesters.
The teaching language is Greek for Greek talking and reading students an in English for foreigner, non Greek talking students, including the projects and the dissertation and Exams questions in both languages.
Program of Studies – Exams
Every semester holds for thirteen (13) weeks and includes lecturing and tutoring. The lessons ask for the physical prsesence of students. For the assistance of the students the lessons are offered during working days noon hours. Every day one or two lessons are offered and each one holds fro 3 hours.
For the successful attendance of the MSc, pass is requested in all 10 lessons of the program and the successful presentation of the dissertation thesis. The exams period starts at the end of the semester, typically in February and June, with repetition of the lectures in next September.
Every lesson corresponds to six (6) credit units (ECTS), while the dissertation thesis to thirty (30) credit units (ECTS). The semester working load corresponds to thirty (30) credit units (ECTS). While for the total completion of the MSc ninety (90) credit units (ECTS) are needed. The MSc program includes the following lessons:
- Advanced Computer and Systems Architecture
- Signal Processing
- Wired and Wireless Computer Networks – Sensor and Actuators Networks – Internet of Things
- Mobile Systems Programming, Network Security
- Sensors and Instrumentation
- Computer Control – Actuators
- SCADA, DCS, Grids for Measurement and Control– Internet of Things
- Image Processing – Machine Vision
- Robotics, Autonomous Machines and Mechatronics
- Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers
- Dissertation / Thesis (MSc Thesis)
The organizing sector of the MSc in the Dep. of Computer Science and Engineering, includes four (4) lecturing members:
- 2 Professors, and
- 2 Associate Professors
Overall, the Department includes the following lecturing and research personnel:
- 6 Professors
- 3 Associate Professors
- 4 Assistant Professors
- 3 Laboratory Professors
In general, teaching support of our MSc program could be given by:
- Teaching and Research staff of the Programming and Network Sector of the Computers Eng Dpt and other similar dpts of TEI of Thessaly.
- Members of Teaching and Research staff of other TEI and Universities of Grece or abroad.
- Scientist, researchers and holders of Ph.D. degrees, of established fame, with specialized knowledge and experience in the field of our MSc,
After decisions of the MSc Committee, a main responsible teacher and a support team for every postgraduate Unit is appointed. The main responsible teacher is member of Teaching and Research Staff or a Scientific co-operators, which is Ph.D. holder, suitable to the field of the module and the whole MSc. Members of the support team are Teaching staff and Scientific and Laboratory Assistants.
This MSc program will operate at the installations of the Dpt of Computer Engineers of TEI of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece. The Dpt uses 4 lecturing rooms, 1 ceremonies theatre and 8 equipped laboratories (6 of them new ones, spring 2015) and the Library of TEI of Thessaly.